Run Linux on a tablet

You can use this forum to discuss topics related to latest technology news: tablet, car, electronic, digital equipment.

Run Linux on a tablet

Postby seo » Mon May 26, 2014 2:24 pm

l recently bought a cheap 7in tablet from Aldi, the Lifetab E7318, which runs Android 4.2. Although it seems Android is fine for smartphones, I think it leaves a lot to be desired on a tablet. I’d therefore like to know if there are any versions of Linux that run in an ARM environment and, if so, how to set up the tablet to be able to run Linux. I’d also like to save Jelly Bean so that Android can be reloaded if Linux doesn't work properly.
I like Panda and Penguin algorithm
seo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Home page

Re: Run Linux on a tablet

Postby thunghiem » Mon May 26, 2014 2:26 pm

Android is itself a version of Linux, but a highly customised one. If it is not to your liking, you could try a PC version of Linux. Many Android tablets can run Linux and your best bet is an app called Complete Linux Installer, which is available from the Google Play Store (bit.ly/tablin345). This lets you install Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, ArchLinux, Kali Linux, and openSUSE on a tablet. We haven’t tried it ourselves, but the app has had more than half a million downloads and has a high proportion of five-star ratings.
The app creates a virtual machine on which it installs Linux. This means that it does not affect Android or your other Android apps. Any Linux software
can be installed, provided it has been created for ARM. However, this may be a problem because there aren’t a lot of ARM Linux programs. It sounds like an interesting project for hobbyists, but it’s unlikely to be a practical every-day alternative to Android. There is more information at the developer’s website (linuxonandroid.org).
Another option is the Ubuntu and Android dual-boot tool (bit.ly/ andubu345). It’s intended for developers rather than the general public, but it may be worth investigating. It lets you install Ubuntu on a tablet and choose which operating system to launch when you switch it on. Ubuntu is actively being developed for tablets and phones, so it’s a real mobile OS that will have apps created for it, too.
thunghiem
Premium Member
Premium Member

Facebook

Return to Tech News